Monday, April 23, 2012

Skateboarding
It's been three years since skateboarding became a big part of my life. I wasn't out looking for a new cause or hobby. I was out doing my usual routine of buying frozen yogurt and buying books. A trip to the local mall on a Friday afternoon revealed all kinds of skaters.
Fifty junior high boys who were hanging out at the mall.
Not skating, just hanging with their friends.
Well, if four or more kids congregate at the mall, it's considered loitering.
Thus, the local sheriff asked them to disperse.
Across the street at the yogurt shop, some imaginative kids were skating over a life-sized stuff animal sheepdog. Very creative, but since they were skating on private property, they too had to leave.
I was blown away by their deserted sheepdog and took a photo with my iPhone and car lights shining on this poor abandoned 'pet.'
My thought: Is that the best this community can do? Our kids deserve better.
And thus began my three year journey to get a skatepark built in our community.
And we will build it! It will happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment